If you are considering studying at TAFE or university after school, it is crucial that you attend Open Days.
Throughout the year, vocational and tertiary institutions open their doors to the public and showcase their courses, accommodation, scholarships, pathway courses, student services and their ‘point of difference’.
At an Open Day, you will be able to:
|Get a feel for the culture of the campus|
|Learn about courses and career options|
|Undertake campus and accommodation tours led by current students|
|Speak directly to student ambassadors and lecturers about the courses or careers you are interested in|
|Compare the course area you are interested in at different institutions|
|Learn about sports and societies you can join and be active in|
|Get course counselling and guidance|
|Attend information sessions and workshops|
|Watch live demonstrations|
|Listen to bands, eat lots of food, participate in activities and have fun!|
Don’t just pick a course at an institution without visiting the campus – you potentially will be spending several years studying there and spending tens of thousands of dollars on your course and accommodation. It’s worth making the effort.
My Career Match has developed a fantastic guide to assist you to get the most out of open days and Career Expos. You can access the article at this link – https://bit.ly/2JgflLb
In the next column is a list of questions you may like to ask at Open Days.
Victorian Open Day dates for several institutions are also listed. On the websites, you will be able to register to receive information about the Open Day/s, go into draws to win prizes, watch videos from the 2018 days and download the Open Day planner for 2019.
Some institutions haven’t updated their Open Day websites yet, so stay tuned.
By now you should have identified institutions you would like to visit, found out their open day dates and downloaded their open day programs.
Once you have the programs, make a list of the information sessions you would like to attend.
If you have time, try and attend information sessions on topics like pathways, scholarships, accommodation and overseas exchange programs.
If you are unsure what to ask on the day, Victoria University has developed some questions you can ask:
|Are there any prerequisite subjects I need to study for this course?|
|What study scores/ATAR do I need to achieve to get into this course?|
|Do I need to attend an audition, have an interview or present a folio as part of the selection process?|
|Are there any other ways into this course other than through a VTAC application?|
|If I can’t get into this course, is there a similar course at this institution I can apply for?|
|Can I study majors and/or minors in this course?|
|How many hours per week are spent in class and can I study part time?|
|Can I defer the course?|
|What kind of jobs do graduates of this course generally get?|
|Are there any scholarships available?|
They have also developed a guide for parents. You can download the questions at this link – https://bit.ly/2XTCC9y
Open Day Dates (Victoria)
- Swinburne University– Hawthorn (28), http://bit.ly/1FRMN40
- Monash University: Peninsula (3), Clayton & Caulfield (4), Parkville (18), http://bit.ly/1pmUEzv
- William Angliss: Melbourne (3), www.angliss.edu.au
- RMIT: Bundoora (4), City & Brunswick (11), http://openday.rmit.edu.au/
- University of Tasmania: Hobart Sandy Bay (4), Newnham Inveresk (10), Cradle Coast (11), https://bit.ly/2WEj0cM
- Australian Catholic University: Melbourne (11) & Ballarat (25), www.openday.acu.edu.au
- La Trobe University: Shepparton (2), Melbourne (4), Mildura (14), Albury-Wodonga (18), Bendigo (25), www.latrobe.edu.au/openday
- University of Melbourne: Parkville & Southbank (18), https://openday.unimelb.edu.au/
- Deakin University: Warrnambool (4), Geelong (18), Melbourne (25), http://openday.deakin.edu.au/
- Victoria University: Footscray (18), www.vu.edu.au/open-day-2019/
- Torrens University: Melbourne (17), https://bit.ly/2I7pY0s
- CQUniversity: Melbourne (18), https://bit.ly/2WkBy2k
- Charles Sturt University: Albury-Wodonga (18), https://bit.ly/2GmQV1b
- Melbourne Polytechnic: Preston (18), https://bit.ly/2iBUy5l
- Federation University: all campuses (25), https://federation.edu.au/openday
- Box Hill Institute: Box Hill (25), www.boxhill.edu.au