From 1 January 2019, eligible students will not pay course tuition fees in 30 priority non-apprenticeship courses, across the TAFE Network in Victoria. A further 20 government-subsidised apprenticeship pathway courses (sometimes called pre-apprenticeships) will also be free.
Any Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen is eligible to do Free TAFE for Priority Courses in Victoria if they meet the following criteria:
- Under 20 or upskilling
- aged under 20 (regardless of any other qualifications they might hold), or
- are 20 or older and enrolling in a course that is a higher qualification than the highest qualification previously attained.
- Victorians who need additional support. Victorians who are:
- unemployed and clients of the Jobs Victoria Employment Network
- retrenched workers, or
- automotive supply chain workers Looking to change careers
- Victorians who want to reskill, change careers, improve their employment prospects and/or meet the needs of local industries, subject to availability of TAFE places, and prioritised based on need.
For further information about Free TAFE visit www.freetafe.vic.gov.au.
Free TAFE courses listed on VTAC
Free TAFE priority courses listed with VTAC are in the table below. The links lead to each course’s entry in CourseSearch. Some of these courses are applied for with a VTAC application and have a course code ending in 4. Other courses are labelled ‘direct’, which means you apply directly to the institution.