Sports Careers

Sports Physiotherapists: are qualified physiotherapists who have undertaken further specialised training and education. They assess and diagnose sports related injuries and develop a treatment plan, which may include hands-on therapies and exercise plans.

Where can I study undergraduate physiotherapy in Victoria?

If you are concerned you won’t achieve the ATAR to gain entry into an undergraduate program, you can study graduate entry physiotherapy in Victoria at:

  • University of Melbourne, Doctor of Physiotherapy, 3-year program.
  • La Trobe University, Master of Physiotherapy Practice, Melbourne and Bendigo, 2-year program.

You will need to complete an undergraduate degree in an area such as exercise science, biomedical science or general science. You should pick a degree that will have subjects in human anatomy and physiology.

There are two ways to become a fully qualified sports physiotherapist- via an academic pathway or an experiential pathway. For information, go to

Clinical Exercise Physiologists: develop exercise plans and services for people living with or being at risk of illnesses such as cancer, mental illness, cardiovascular disease, neuromuscular/ neurological disease, respiratory disease, chronic pain and musculoskeletal pain.

From Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA): “Exercise Physiologists are the most qualified health professional to prescribe exercise for people with chronic disease”.

How do I become qualified in Victoria?

  • You must first complete an ESSA approved undergraduate degree.
  • You must then complete an ESSA approved Graduate Diploma or Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology, meet all of the required knowledge and skills criteria and have completed the required 500 hours of approved practicum, as outlined by ESSA.

For a list of approved courses and courses pending accreditation, go to

Sport Management: is for students who have an interest in both sport and business (including management, marketing, elite athlete management, events, facilities management, tourism, accounting etc.). Different institutions offer different majors or specialisations, so make sure you do your research.

Sports Engineers: design and develop sports equipment and apparel; design products and develop solutions to enhance the performance of athletes; and are at the forefront of designing new sports technologies for elite athletes. Students typically study human movement sciences, and electronic, mechanical and software engineering.

Sport and Recreation Management: students can typically specialise in areas such as outdoor recreation, recreation management, tourism, facilities management, policy development and events management.

Sports Development: students learn how to promote sport in the community and increase the level of participation in sports for different cohorts such as young people and people with disabilities. Sports development officers create new and innovative sports programs or work for existing organisations to run their programs in the community (i.e., AusKick)

Sports Journalists: undertake research on sporting events and issues and report on them via various media mediums (e.g., print, broadcast, radio). Students generally have to complete a journalism degree with a sports specialisation within the degree or as a graduate program.

Other sports careers include Sports Psychology, Exercise Rehabilitation, Sports Coaching, Physical Education Teaching, Fitness and Personal Training, Sports Science etc.

To search for sports related courses and university prerequisites, search the Good Universities Guide course finder at-

Or the Victorian Tertiary Admission Centre (VTAC) archived search at

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s