If you are considering studying at TAFE or university after school, it is crucial that you attend Open Days.
Throughout the year, vocational and tertiary institutions open their doors to the public and showcase their courses, accommodation, scholarships, pathway courses, student services and their ‘point of difference’. At an Open Day, you will be able to:
|Get a feel for the culture of the campus|
|Learn about courses and career options|
|Undertake campus and accommodation tours led by current students|
|Speak directly to student ambassadors and lecturers about the courses or careers you are interested in|
|Compare the course area you are interested in at different institutions|
|Learn about sports and societies you can join and be active in|
|Get course counselling and guidance|
|Attend information sessions and workshops|
|Watch live demonstrations|
|Listen to bands, eat lots of food, participate in activities and have fun!|
Don’t just pick a course at an institution without visiting the campus – you potentially will be spending several years studying there and spending tens of thousands of dollars on your course and accommodation. It’s worth making the effort.
The following is a list of Victorian Open Day dates for several institutions. On the websites, you will be able to register to receive information about the Open Day/s, go into draws to win prizes, watch videos from the 2017 days and download the Open Day planner for 2018. Some institutions haven’t updated their Open Day websites yet, so stay tuned.
- Swinburne University– Hawthorn (29), http://bit.ly/1FRMN40
- Monash University: Peninsula (4), Clayton & Caulfield (5), Peninsula (19)
- RMIT: Bundoora (5), City (12)
- Australian Catholic University: Melbourne (12) & Ballarat (26)
- La Trobe University: Shepparton (3), Melbourne (5), Albury-Wodonga (12), Mildura (15), Bendigo (26)
- University of Melbourne: Parkville & Southbank (19)
- Deakin University: Warrnambool (5), Geelong (19), Melbourne (26)
- Victoria University: Footscray (19)
- Federation University: all campuses (26)
FOCUS ON EXPERIENCE DAYS
Don’t want to wait until Semester 2 to attend Open Days? Experience Days provide the opportunity for prospective students, and in some cases their families, to spend the day at a university, TAFE Institute or private college. Students will be able to:
- Participate in course workshops
- Attend information sessions
- Speak to course advisers and student ambassadors about courses, scholarships, accommodation and pathways.
The following are three examples of Experience Days running before the Open Day period.
Charles Sturt University
Charles Sturt University (CSU) will be running a MyDay at the Albury Wodonga campus on Wednesday 27 June. Students can participate in workshops focussed on their course interests from areas such as:
- Allied Health (including Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Pathology, Podiatric Medicine etc.)
- Business, Accounting, Marketing
- Environmental Science, Outdoor Recreation
- Information Technology
Parents/Guardians are welcome to attend. For information and to register your place, go to http://bit.ly/2kVYa5R
The University of Melbourne
A Day at Melbourne: This event is for prospective students and their families and will be held at the Parkville campus in July. You will learn about:
- Undergraduate degrees and graduate pathways
- Admissions and entry requirements
- Access Melbourne and Melbourne Scholarships
- Accommodation options
- How parents can help with the transition to university.
You will also be able to participate in a session focusing on the course you are interested in. The date hasn’t been released yet, but students can check for updates at this link, http://bit.ly/2lzP67x
La Trobe University
Experience Clever at La Trobe University: Prospective students and their families are invited to participate in the ‘Experience Clever’ program. You will be able to:
- Participate in three workshops of your choice
- Speak to course advisers
- Participate in a campus/accommodation tour
Dates are as follows: Albury Wodonga, Friday 1 June. Bendigo, Wednesday 4 July. Melbourne Bundoora, Friday 6 July. For information and to register click here
Australian Catholic University
Experience Days at Australian Catholic University (ACU): Prospective students are invited to participate in an Experience Day at ACU. You will be able to:
- Participate in workshops focussing on the courses you are interested in
- Speak to course advisers and student ambassadors
Dates are as follows: Melbourne, Tuesday 3 July. Ballarat, Thursday 5 July. For information and to register click here
Experience Days at RMIT: Prospective students are invited to participate in one of the following Experience Days at RMIT:
- Media and Communications
Dates haven’t been released, but the days will be held between 2 – 7 July. For information and to pre-register click here.