Have you ever considered studying at the Australian Defence Force Academy?
The Australian Defence Force Academy (ADFA) is located in Canberra and is a university like no other, offering combined military and leadership training, with a world-class degree from the University of New South Wales (UNSW). It has the best university student-to-teacher ratio in the country, amazing sports and recreational facilities and is one of Australia’s most respected universities.
Why should I study at ADFA?
- The education and experiences of ADFA will equip you to deal with the professional and personal challenges of your chosen career.
- Be trained in the art of leadership by experienced military professionals.
- Access exceptional sporting and recreational facilities and be a part of a wide variety of sports and special-interests clubs.
- Earn your degree from UNSW.
- Choose from a range of degrees – Arts, Business, Engineering, Information Technology, Science and Technology.
- Enjoy free medical and dental, subsidised food and accommodation.
- Receive a starting salary of $40,310 plus super whilst studying and no Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) fees*.
*You will be signed up to the Australian Defence Force for six to nine years. However, you must serve to the completion of your (Return of Service Obligation) ROSO or initial minimum period of service obligation.
What degrees are available?
You can study a myriad of degrees. Click on the degree name to see an overview of the degree.
- Aeronautical Engineering (Honours) – Bachelor of Engineering (Aeronautical Engineering) (Honours)
- Civil Engineering (Honours) – Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours)
- Electrical Engineering (Honours) – Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (Honours)
- Mechanical Engineering (Honours) – Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Honours)
- Computing and Cyber Security – Bachelor of Computer and Cyber Security
- Technology (Aeronautical Engineering) – Bachelor of Technology (Aero)
- Technology (Aviation) – Bachelor of Technology (Aero)
- Bachelor of Arts
- English Studies
- Indonesian Studies
- International and Political Studies
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Science
The Chief of Defence Future Students Program
This is a program available for academically gifted cadets. UNSW Canberra offers an exciting range of undergraduate degree options to high performers in Arts, Business, Engineering, Information Technology, Science and Technology.
Known as Chief of the Defence Force Students Programs (CDFSP), these unique programs have been designed to provide academically gifted cadets with a rich and challenging educational experience that will develop their critical thinking and research skills.
If you are eligible for the CDFSP, you will undertake individual research projects working closely with academic staff on projects from their area of interest. Upon completion of your degree, you will receive a unique award that reflects your involvement in this outstanding program. CDFSPs are offered across all four schools of the Academy and are an exceptional opportunity for gifted cadets to reach their full academic potential.
Entry and Progression Requirements
Cadets will be invited to join the CDF program at the beginning of Year 1, Midyear 1 or the start of Year 2.
- Bachelor of Arts – ATAR 95
- Bachelor of Business – ATAR 95
- Bachelor of Engineering (all specifications) – ATAR 98
- Bachelor of Information Technology – ATAR 98
- Bachelor of Science – ATAR 98
- Bachelor of Technology (Aeronautical) – ATAR 98
For more detailed information on available degrees, visit the Defence Force Website.